So, I had so much fun with my first thrift store challenge that I couldn't wait to get started on another one!
I was very excited when I found this dress on my last thrift store run. I can only imagine how some nice teased bangs and complementary blue pumps would have just made all the other church ladies jealous. But, since I don't live in the 80's, I guess I'm out of luck with that one. Better make some changes!
Apologies for the blurry picture, but you get the idea. It was quite cathartic to cut that dress up. I took off the top and the extra length at the bottom in order to utilize the middle part of the dress for a skirt!
Since I cut the dress in half, I obviously cut the zipper in half. So, the zipper was of no use anymore. Therefore, I just decided to completely cut it out and sew the two sides together. Thankfully, there was enough elastic to go without a zipper because I have yet to develop the skills to put another one in.
I went through and hemmed both the top and the bottom parts of my soon-to-be skirt.
Next, I added four buttons to give the middle section of the skirt some character.
However, I wasn't quite happy with it. So, then I added fun accent buttons to give it a bit more of a unique look.
Between the dress and a few sewing supplies, I spent under $6! Makes me HAPPY.